Useful Resources and Links
- Middle Street Historic Tour : 2008-season leaflet
- Middle Street Open Day poster : Brighton Festival May 2008
- Middle Street : famous Brighton Jews biographical tour
- Middle Street : Brighton Jewish Community history : lobby sheet
- Middle Street Restoration Fund Posters x 7
- Middle Street “Zodiac Window” tour x 12 : Jewish months, tribes etc
To the casual visitor, one of the most striking features are the myriad colours and designs of the stained glass windows. Each set is unique. Some of the “renaissance” design windows are stylistically based upon the early Arts and Crafts movement designs of William Morris. We’ve put together a few basic galleries of these. Go to the “gallery” page for more. Click the links below and a separate window will open with the gallery.
The Holy Land Columns
In the main hall, the capitals of the columns all represent different floral and botanical specimens from the Middle East and specifically what is now modern-day Israel. There are 24 different designs and all are unique. Amongst the golden undergrowth can be seen pomegranate, citron, barley, grapes, pistachio, jujube, fritillaria, and almonds. To see 12, click the link below. To see 24 come and visit!
The Golden Botanical Columns
All the carved stone capitals between the stained glass windows in the Men’s and Ladies Galleries are individually carved with no two being exactly. Each floor has twenty designs each side making a total of 80. The capitals bordering the stained glass windows at roof level are more uniform in their design. For a selection of photos click the link below. For all 80 come and visit!